Life as a single, working adult can be quite the stressful time. That said, when you become a parent that stress gets taken a few notches up. Between work, caring for the child and doing all the house things that need to be taken care of, you’ll have little time for any of the more pleasurable things in life. Here are some steps you can take to keep that sanity and live a happier life.
- Don’t Try To Make Everyone Happy – Don’t try to please everyone. Sometimes you can’t be that people pleasing person and you have to say no. Don’t worry, most people will understand where you are coming from and if they don’t then you’ll probably be better off without those people. You’ll never be able to keep yourself happy if you are busy trying to please others.
- Say No – When you are getting hit from every angle with demand after demand, you have to learn how to hand out a heavy rejection. Parenting is already a huge weight upon your shoulders. Adding too much to that will result in a full on collapse. That said, you have to choose your battles.
- Rest Days – Always make sure to dedicate one day completely to rest. Working in full circles will result in burn out which will and to your stress and possibly put you into a state of depression. Having a day to wind down is essential to having a healthy and happy life.
- Lower Your Expectations – You don’t need to be a millionaire, you don’t need to be a superhero and you don’t need to be a the world’s most perfect mother. It’s okay to lower your expectations and live a more easy life. You do not have shoot for perfection.
- Emotional Boundaries – Make sure to have emotional boundaries. You don’t want to take things to personally in this world, especially when it involves people who aren’t family.